Mount Toubkal Trek
2- or 3-Day Mount Toubkal Trek
Day 1 – Base camp Mount Toubkal
After an early breakfast we depart by minibus. Leaving the plains around Marrakech we then pass via the villages of Asni, Imi Oughlad to Imlil, where we’ll meet our mules and muleteers to begin our trekking adventure. Our trekking mules will carry your larger bags as well as tents and equipment. Luggage is limited to 12kg per person for the trek and bags must be soft duffle bags or frameless backpacks. We walk up through small villages after we get to the shrine of Sidi Chamharouch, we continue to climb steadily so as to get to the refuge 3200 m. Overnight in tents or in the refugee at the base camp (6 to 7 hours walk).
Day 2 (and 3) – Aremd / Marrakech
An early start today for the challenging trek to the summit of Mount Toubkal, at 4.167 m. After conquering the highest mountain in North Africa, enjoy the magnificent views in all directions and relish the sense of achievement! We then descend to our base camp for lunch, after which we return to the gîte in Aremd or straight back to Marrakech (10 to 11 hours walk).
3- or 4-Day Mount Toubkal Trek
Day 1 – Aremd
Pick up in the morning from your hotel in Marrakech, after which we will drive via the villages of Asni and Imi Oughlad to Imlil, where we will meet our mules and muleteers to begin our hike. Our trekking mules will carry your larger bags as well as tents and equipment. Luggage is limited to 12kg per person for the trek and bags must be soft duffle bags or frameless backpacks. We walk for about an hour to the mountain gîte in Aremd, where you can explore this village and walk around.
Day 2 – Base camp Mount Toubkal
From Aremd, we walk up through the village, after which we will get to the shrine of Sidi Chamharouch. We continue to climb steadily so to get to the base camp at 3.200 m. Overnight in tents at the base camp (6 to 7 hours walk).
Day 3 (and 4) – Aremd / Marrakech
Today we will reach the summit of Mount Toubkal, where you will have an amazing view of the surroundings of Toubkal National Park. Then descend back to Aremd and stay there for another night (9 hours walk), or continue to Imlil and return to Marrakech (10/11 hours walk).
If you have chosen to stay the night in Aremd, you will return on day 4 in the morning to Marrakech and arrive there before lunch.
- – Private certified English- / French- / Spanish- / Italian-speaking mountain guide;
- – Private certified driver and air-conditioned transportation for the transfers from and to Marrakech;
- – Basic accommodations for the duration of your tour (mountain gîte and tents in mountain camps);
- – Three meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner, 9 in total for the 4 day trip, 6 for the 3 day trip);
- – Muleteers and mules that carry your luggage;
- – Pick up from the hotel in Marrakech / airport on day 1 and drop off at day 3/4.
Checklist for Climb Mount Toubkal
For this trekking, you need to prepare as you would for walking in any mountain region; it can be warm and sunny during the day but the weather in the mountains can quickly change from sunshine to snow and cold winds (autumn through late spring). Please do not leave any rubbish behind you; carry out what you carry in.
- – Good walking boots and socks;
- – 3 to 4 season sleeping bag (can be provided);
- – Comfortable shoes/slippers for camp/guesthouse;
- – Trekking pants, shirts, and fleece jacket or warm jumper, hat;
- – Day sack/backpack;
- – Head torch/headlamp;
- – Lightweight windproof/waterproof jacket;
- – Goggles (winter) and sunglasses (summer).
- – All additional meals and drinks not listed;
- – Optional activities;
- – International flights;
- – Travel insurance;
- – Tipping and souvenirs.
- – Lightweight waterproof over-trousers/rain-pants;
- – Long johns (winter);
- – Lightweight thermal or fleece gloves (winter);
- – Ice axe and crampons (winter);
- – Penknife (useful);
- – Small First Aid Kit including insect repellent, plasters, meds;
- – Small rubbish bag to carry out what you carry in;
- – Matches e.g. burn toilet paper;
- – Trail snacks;
- – Zip-up bags for camera;
- – Repair kit (eg. needle, thread, duct tape).